While Hurricane Florence might be behind us in the Carolinas, the road to recovery has only just begun. Though some faired well in the storm, others weren’t quite as lucky. So how can you make lemonade when life throws you lemons? If a tree lands in your home, why not use the insurance money for those renovations you’ve been wanting? Now is the perfect time to get started! Check out these tips for finding the right builder to fix your home.
1. Look for referrals. Do you have friends, family or neighbors that have had work done to their homes? Ask around! Word of mouth is the best way to hear about reliable builders that complete high quality projects.
2. What are their credentials? It’s important to ensure they hold necessary licenses from state and local municipalities. You might also look to find out if they’ve invested any additional course work or taken tests to earn specific certifications. Professional designations are important things to consider!
3. Check out their portfolio. Browse their website or ask to see some of their previous work. If you have friends or family who’ve had work done, check it out in person. Get an idea of the quality of work they’ve completed.
4. Ask for references. Not only do you want to see their portfolio and get an idea of how their projects turned out visually, but you also want to find out how they executed their work. Were they timely? Did they adhere to the budget? Were the customers happy with the work done overall? What could the builder or remodeler have done differently?
5. Are they professional? What’s their business management like? Do they have a functioning website? Is it easy to get in contact with them? If it’s difficult to communicate with them now, consider how challenging it might be to work with them.
6. Meet in person. If you’ve narrowed it down to a few builders or remodelers, interview them in person. How are the two of you communicating? Are they asking the right questions? It’s important to know whether or not you’re on the same page. Meeting in person is a great way to find out if he or she is a perfect match for your project!
The most important thing to keep in mind is not to be discouraged. Hurricane damages can definitely feel overwhelming, but remember that the builder you choose is on your side! Look at this situation as an opportunity to create or complete a project you’ve been thinking about for a long time!
Are you in need of repairs or renovations after Florence? Give us a call or fill out our Custom Renovations form here to get started.